Sunday, December 7, 2008

18 days left

The Christmas countdown is in full swing. We thought we were done with shopping for the kids, but then discovered that sometimes it is hard to shop without them. We bought something for Chief to wear, but are worried that he may not fit it. So we may have to ruin the surprise element to have the right gift on Christmas day. Speaking of Christmas, Red mentioned something about how Satan doesn't like Christmas. We discussed that he probably doesn't because that is when we celebrate the birthday of our Savior Jesus Christ and how he probably wants us to focus only on presents and such. Chief started worrying that he had Satan within his heart because of how he much he likes the presents. I assured him that he doesn't, that he is very good because he often points out to people that it is Jesus's birthday and he has had no problem with our family tradition of the last couple of years. Every Christmas morning, before we go to the tree as a family (that doesn't mean the kids haven't peeked at what is out there), we sit down--in the room the parents stay in--say a prayer, read the scriptural account of Jesus's birth, sing a song and then commence with the festivities. I really have enjoyed this tradition and so far the kids have done really well cooperating.


Okay, now for some pictures of my hubby's cake (I think I promised I'd post this) and of Punkie cooking toddler style:

Here she has poured out pudding powder on the carpet and is sprinkling slivered almonds on top. She is also nicely dusted with the powder.

5 comments:

Tina said...

That cake looks like it was incredibly rich, but I bet it was also really yummy!
And I can't believe Punkie got away with that. lol. Kids!

I love the worry over the love of presents, he's such a good kid! We have a similar Christmas morning tradition. We'll see how well received it is this year. In the past Bridget has been too small to object. :)

Crystal said...

That cake looks so yummy!! I think Punkie is going to be a great cook, I love that picture! I should send you the picture I have of her and Brock on my phone it is so adorable. Also I think its so cute how concerned he is about loving the presents it just shows how great of a kid he is! And I think that sounds like a great tradition for Christmas morning we might have to start doing something like that.

Sandra said...

Wow that cake does look yummy! and I'm with Tina, I can't believe she got away with those baking skills :) Sounds like a great tradition. I'll have to bring that up to Kevin

Company of 5 said...

Yeah, I was busy changing sheets and cleaning while she was going through our cooler of leftover baking supplies we brought for Thanksgiving Day.

Anonymous said...

Looked like she wanted to be part of the recipe. You will have to write the recipe on a card for future reference: One whole Punkie, package of ...,
Yum...