Thursday, January 8, 2009

Welcome to the new year!

So the holidays are officially over. I took down Christmas decorations a couple of days ago. We had fun, as evidenced by this video clip I took when I thought I was taking a picture:




Chief made sure we had everything just right for Santa: the cookies, the milk and the letter. Santa even took the time to write back!



We loved the opportunity to visit with family--even if that did mean Punkie and Daddy caught a highly contagious stomach bug that several other family members also caught. Here are a couple of pics of Red teaching his one year old cousin all about MP3s and another one of the same cousin and his great uncle (sorry Greg, but it's true):

And here we are just glad to be home.

I taught preschool yesterday. We are learning about families. Basically we read a cute book, made a representation of the kids' families by making a snowman picture out of foam pieces I bought from Michaels back when Chief was in Kindergarten and I taught a "station" one day about families to his class. No matter how many times I try to use up all the snowman foam pieces the container always seems full! Augh! How do I get rid of them?!?! For the snack we made snowman marshmallow people with marshmallows and toothpicks and drank hot chocolate with whipped cream. We skipped recess because we had played some discovery games earlier for letter sounds and bug shapes/colors/species (thanks Mom!) and learned our password for the day--which is learning h0w to read words with the same ending letters (thanks Sis!). We finished up by learning the properties of salt and it's affect on water. I had frozen blocks of ice for the kids, mixed up a water/salt/blue coloring solution, gave the kids syringes (without needles) and let them go at it. They really enjoyed it. I think I'll teach them about more snow/ice themed science tomorrow and we're planning on preparing a surprise treat/cards for another mom who teaches them (it's her b-day Sunday).

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Did everyone in your family get the stomach bug? Sounds like you do a great job teaching preschool.

Company of 5 said...

Naw, just the dad and baby girl. The boys and I were lucky.
And thanks! I have fun doing it!