Monday, May 4, 2009

New member of Church

Chief was baptized on Saturday. The program was great and we were able to see lots of family and friends. I didn't get all the pictures I wanted (only took a handful) because I was a little busy talking with people and setting things up. I didn't take any outside the Tabernacle because of the rain. So here are three I liked:

Chief's been enjoying listening to his new Children's hymnbook CDs and reading scriptures. He even marked one (I'm not sure why, probably just because he could). I'm really proud of him for his decision (yeah, I know, I've got a problem with pride). I know it's probably easier for him to choose to be baptized because we encourage it, but it was still his decision. I'm not sure if he knows how lucky he is to have two parents that encourage him and help him with spiritual knowledge. Of course, I don't think many kids realize such blessings until they are older or unless they don't have them and wish they did. I was blessed my Mom cared enough to haul three children by herself to church. I'm sure it wasn't easy (I know I sure groaned whenever I had to get ready for church), but the results are definately worth it. My Dad only came to church a handful of times, but I can remember how I would sit up as tall as I could, proud (yes, again, I know) that my Dad was sitting next to me in church. Now I'm grateful my hubby cares enough to teach our children about the gospel and hauls them to church with me every Sunday. This means more to me than I can possibly put into words.
On a different note, I'm recommending a new book: When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin. This novel is very heartfelt (excuse the pun--when you read the book you'll know why). The main character has a painfully secret past that he has tried to hid from, but then he meets a little girl who changes his life. It's more slow and deep, and you spend most of the book putting together the main character's past through pieces scattered throughout the book. It sounds sappy, but it is rather worth the read.

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Congrats to the newest member of our ward :) I still feel really bad that Kevin forgot. He's not used to attending all of the baptisms since he and Bro. Hedin just switched responsibilities.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Congrats to Chief!

SisK said...

Wish we could have been there!

Angie Nimer said...

Glad we could come share in this special day with Andrew. Love the picture with Kayden! :-)

Anonymous said...

A special day for a wonderful young man!