Friday, June 5, 2009

Hello from Virginia

Sorry there won't be any pics from my end--I don't have my camara with me. I had packed a week ago to visit my in-laws house for the weekend. On Saturday I got a call from my Mom, who was worried about my sister--she hurt her back the day before and wasn't able to walk around. I volunteered to ditch my poor hubby and kids to help out. Soon I got a phone call from my bro-in-law who booked a flight for me the next day, and the rest is history. My sis is walking around, but on pain killers (and pry will be until she has physical therapy for a herniated disk). I'm just around to lift the kids (well, the four year old is fine, the 19 month old just needs a boost occasionally), driving, and to bend over for those things she can't do. In the meantime, we're having some fun hanging out.
Here's a recipe for granola that I begged her for. My mouth can't even detect the wholesome stuff--it's really very good when kept in an airtight container.
Title: Granola
Ingredients:
GRANOLA
8 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups wheat germ
1 1/2 cups oat bran
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped or sliced almonds
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup honey
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups raisins or sweetened dried cranberries or mixed dried fruit
coconut to taste, if desired
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment or aluminum foil. Combine the oats, wheat germ, oat bran, sunflower seeds, almonds, pecans, and walnuts in a large bowl. Stir together the salt, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, oil, cinnamon, and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then pour over the dry ingredients, and stir to coat. Add coconut if desired. Spread the mixture out evenly on the baking sheets. Bake in the preheated oven until crispy and toasted, about 20 minutes. Do not overbake. Stir once halfway through. Cool, then stir in the raisins or cranberries before storing in an airtight container.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing person!! Granola recipe looks good. How does it rate compared to your usual granola recipe?

Company of 5 said...

I like the aftertaste of this granola, I think it lasts longer in an airtight container, and I love how you can't tell that it's healthier than my usual granola. My sister uses plump, mixed dried fruit which is very good (can't remember name, but it's among the dried fruit section in the grocery store).