Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Triple Berry Muffin recipe

So I'm still catching up on things. Doesn't help that I'm procrastinating as much as I can. Found out today that my 8 year old believes (due to a 5 year old neighbor) that a boy can get a girl pregnant by spitting in her mouth while kissing. Their spit apparently combines together to make a baby in her (as he pats his lower stomach area). He then must have noticed the incredulous look on my face because he asks me how babies are made. I remind him that males have sperm that contain some DNA and the females have eggs that contain a portion of their DNA and that only one sperm can enter an egg, thereby combining the DNA, mixing it up to make a baby (yep, I know there are exceptions and yep, I totally skipped how the sperm gets into the female--he'll get that talk when he is old enough to ask about it).
Here's a recipe I slightly modified from Taste of Home called Triple Berry Muffins. I found it Father's Day morning when I realized we were out of muffin mixes (gasp!) and I had a request from Red to make them for him for Father's Day--since it's the "boys" day.
Triple Berry Muffins
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup mashed berries (I used raspberries and blueberries)
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries

In large bowl, combine first 6 ingredients. In another bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla and butter, adding 1/2 cup mashed berries; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in berries.
Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 372 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Serve warm. Makes 1 1/2 dozen muffins.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

It makes you wonder how the other kid came to believe that.