Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Angels and Demons

No, I'm not reading a book by Dan Brown. I'm just reflecting on bringing up children and how they can switch personalities during the day. I can definately tell it's summer based upon their behavior. The boys are trying to bother each other--just for the fun of it. Yesterday brought quite the learning lesson with it for all of us. My hubby and I were downstairs in the kitchen when we heard Chief coughing and gagging. When asked what was wrong all I could understand from him was the word "mouth." I thought he must be unconscious when I first saw him--he was lying at the top of the stairs not moving. Then as we got closer, my hubby asked what happened again and Chief sprang up, led us to our bedroom, and showed us a small black canister he had apparently been playing with. Pepper spray. We shooed the kids (yep, the younger two were there too) out of the room and gave them milk to drink (milk is better than water at attempting to relieve symptoms borne from pepper spray contact). I tried airing out the upstairs rooms--particularly my own. Just from walking into the room, my hubby and I were gagging and coughing too. Not fun. Lesson for parents: don't assume that placing your personal items under piles of stuff on the dresser is a good way to hide them. Lesson for kids: don't play with stuff on your parent's dresser and don't press a button just because it says "press."
Later that day the Angel showed up in Chief. He gave a particularly enthusastic "pep talk" of why we should be 'faithful, and courageous' like the stripling warriors--willing to fight for what's right. He was very passionately into his speech, it was great! He also had us do the "love seat" again. Each member of the family got a chance to sit in the chair (love sac), be cheered for and then the other members take the opportunity to singularly tell them one compliment--one thing they love about that person. The kids just light up when it's their turn and they love to come up with things about everyone else too.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

Wow pepper spray, poor kid. I'm glad that those angel moments show up now and then or they would be shoved off to some boot camp.

SisK said...

That isn't the same container of pepper spray Dad bought us when we were teenagers was it?

I guess it could have been worse...all is well that ends well?

I'll keep the milk advice in mind if I ever get sprayed. Any other things you are supposed to do?

Company of 5 said...

Let it wear off.