Friday, November 14, 2008

Christmas is coming!

Since Red's friend put out a fake candy cane outside her door today, he insisted it was time to decorate for Christmas. So the boxes came out and the kids were enthralled for awhile decorating. And then they stopped. Now my family room looks like a few boxes exploded and the contents were strewn everywhere. At least the bookshelf looks okay and the nutcrackers and small figurines are lined up facing out the front window.
As for their wish lists: beware any parent of a child with an active imagination! Two years ago, Chief asked for magic coal for Christmas so he could do whatever he wanted. I explained that magic coal was only something on the Island of Sodor (*you'll recognize this if you know anything about Thomas the Train). However, Chief and his cousin decided to ask the big man himself. So at the yearly church Christmas party, when we had a visit from Santa, the two boys asked him. And Santa told them that there WAS such a thing as magic coal. Let's just say I wasn't feeling very jolly toward the guy with a belly like a bowl full of jelly. Thanks Santa. So my son asks for fast shoes (apparently the shoes that have a letter 'N'--Nike--are not as fast as those with a letter 'S'--Sketcher) and for magic coal. Well, there where two options: tell him he exceeded the limit of asking for ONE present or to see if Santa could actually grant his request. It's a good thing Santa has the internet to google strange requests. (Note--if you are reading this aloud to your kids, and if you are I have no idea why--stop now). Anyway, there was a recipe for a "magic coal" garden where you can grow multi-colored crystals on coal. Apparently now you can buy pre-prepared kits from Toys R' Us, but I digress. Needless to say, I'd never been to a business that sells coal before that time. It was...dirty. All the other ingredients are easily bought from the store. Some items were pre-mixable. Others I mixed early that Christmas day, after scripture reading and before the kids were allowed to run to their stockings. One container I labeled Magic Potion #1, the other #2 and I had the coal on a pie tin. I also had food coloring ready. The whole 'package' came with a gushy note from Santa explaining that the coal wasn't magic in that it could do anything, but that Chief was very special and could do almost anything he set his mind to. Well, the letter was more eloquent than that. And gushy. Kinda like a corny 80's sci-fi. The experiment went well. He enjoyed it. And his cousins, who were also strange enough to WANT to have coal, were able to benefit from the extra pieces I had.

Now I have another problem. So far, Chief has indicated to me he wanted rocket-like shoes that would allow him to fly (that's it--I'm getting rid of my t.v.) and has told his Dad he wants magic mittens like Santa has. I thought that kids definately outgrew Santa when they started asking for expensive toys, but if he continues on like this maybe he'll have to be let in on a few things. Actually he did tell me a friend of his suspects his parents buy the gifts and hide them until Christmas. I think he was fishing for info...

3 comments:

Sandra said...

My kids have already been making their lists. I told them they can't talk about what they want for Christmas until after Thanksgiving. I'm sad that Thanksgiving gets pushed to the side. Thankfully my kids haven't asked for things that would give them certain abilities...it's always been easy things that can be bought at the store.

Tina said...

Haha. That's great. Very cool that Santa found magic coal though... that's dedication. Good luck with the flying shoes.

Anonymous said...

I have to hold my husband back from decorating for Christmas! I've also personally been trying to refrain from listening to Christmas music. Luckily, our kids don't ask for things for Christmas---we don't really give them the option to either. We just decide what we want to get. So far that works out nicely except when they don't really like the gifts. Oh well!