Thursday, November 20, 2008

Preschool on the move

Here are some pics of our latest preschool outing. We went to the grocery store (yeah, I know, sounds real exciting when you go as often as I do), but it was actually fun. We chose it because the kids have been learning about healthy eating and the food pyramid and about money. Put food and money together and you've got a grocery store.
Here the manager is showing the kids the gigantic mixer they use for the hundreds of cookies they make daily.
Here he is showing them the walk-in oven they use for baking the goods. (Tip: Don't walk in there while on--though I'm sure there is a safety trigger.)
Just some of the yummy baked goods cooling.My--I mean the kid's favorite part: Donuts with icing-colored in autumn colors. Yum!
When else can you go to a store and eat a donut right out of the case without getting in trouble? Okay, I did feel a bit self conscious when the General Manager walked away and we were still standing there eating donuts for the other shoppers to see. But before this, I had never been in the refrigerator or freezer sections of the store before. (Freezer is kept at 25 degrees below zero).
Having preschool age kids does have it's advantages...Let's see, where do I want to go next?
Punkie is such a little mom. She packed Andrew's school bag for tomorrow, wished her brothers a good night, shushed them, and gave them their cup of water at bedtime.
Oh, and I picked up my hubby's b-day present--a book--last Saturday with my 7 year old. We hid it in his room. The four year old brought it to him wrapped in a jacket, so he didn't see, but he told him it was a gift. My hubby thought it was just a book off the shelf and Chief whisked it away before he found out differently. However, I returned from the library yesterday with the same book (my hubby REALLY wanted to read it, so I checked it out), and Chief--not knowing my plan to switch the two on Saturday--blurted out, "But we already got that book for Daddy from the store!" My hubby pretended to block his ears, but I decided the damage was done and he'd get his b-day present early. Now the only present left is to take him to the Twilight movie tomorrow. That and to make a cake for Tuesday that he picked out--a bittersweet decadent chocolate cake (usually he likes carrot, but he's branching out).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that the field trip was to learn about healthy eating and they spent their time in the Bakery eating the dounuts and looking at the cookie-making equipment. Ahhh, learning.....

What book did David get?

Have fun at Twilight. I may actually go if my husband ever comes home on Monday so I can go with the girls to the 9:20 pm showing. It is amazing what we will do just because it is popular (I haven't read the books...).

Company of 5 said...

Brisingr. It is part of a series from Eragon (I'm not sure if you ever saw the movie--probably not, but it is about Dragons).
Twilight was good. But the filming was obviously low-cost :). It reminded me of the documentary-style of camara filming (think Woody Allen)--I even had to look away at the part where the camara was circling around the main characters because I was getting dizzy. Regardless, the movie was still fine, but I liked the book better. One of the middle books--I think book three, was too much teenage emotion for me, but book four was definately the best.