Monday, November 24, 2008

Happy Birthgiving

This week is my hubby's b-day and of course, Thanksgiving. At least this year they don't coincide. I'm baking a bittersweet chocolate pound cake for the b-day. I'll let you know how it goes.
This year we're celebrating Thanksgiving with my PILs. We switch off every other year. We're making David's famous sweet potato souffle, cranberry sauce (an awesome recipe), double pumpkin pie (has a cheesecake layer), a pecan pie, a decandent pie (like pecan with coconut), cranberry cream cheese spread, and probably something else, but I can't think of it--oh, maybe my ambrosia salad. I think that's all on our part. We'll also have turkey, rolls, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, veggies, a frog-eye salad, traditional pumpkin pie, and maybe some other things. I guess this is the time of the year when you put ALL your food on the table and go at it. No kidding we need New Year Resolutions.

What about you? Do you have any traditions or recipes you can't do without? One tradition my mom has is to place a new Christmas ornament by everyone's table spot for them to take home. It's pretty fun. My PILs have so many people come that they'd have to buy a tree's worth of ornaments to do that! But we're looking forward to having a great time :).

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Happy Birthday (to your hubby that is) Thats fun about the ordaments. A tradition Kevin's family does is they have Pie Night. Since your so stuffed the day of Thanksgiving will all that good food they have a Pie night the day before.

Crystal said...

You'll have to tell him Happy Birthday from us! It was so nice of him to come on Sunday and thanks for that gift Matt still isn't home so he hasn't seen it but I'm sure he will love it. It's nice for him to have the things he'll need to give blessings now!
Anyway we don't really have many traditions as far as Thanksgiving goes we just switch off where we go every year. It's just fun to see everyone I think.