Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Chocolate Party

I went to a delicious chocolate party tonight. There were tortes, fudge, cookies, bars, pies, cakes, hot cocoa, chocolate balls, and even chocolate facial recipes with samples. I brought one of my favorites: Valentine berries and cream--featured below.
I found the original recipe years ago in a Taste of Homes. This is what it usually looks like. I made a few modifications by making it bite-sized:
Here's my hubby's creation from the leftover chocolate, chocolate cream, whipped cream, and strawberries:
I had fun, but quickly reached my chocolate limit. Here's the recipe:
Valentine Berries and Cream
8 sq. (1 oz each) semisweet chocolate
1 Tb Shortening
6 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/3 cup baking cocoa
2 Tb. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups whipping cream, whipped and divided
1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries
Line a 9 in. heart or square shaped baking pan with foil; set aside. In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Pour into prepared pan, swirling to coat the bottom and 1 1/2 in. up the sides. Refrigerate for 1 minute, then swirl the chocolate to reinforce sides of heart or box. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm. Using foil, lift from pan; remove foil and place chocolate heart on a serving plate. In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Combine confectioner's sugar and cocoa; add to creamed mixture with milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Gently fold two-thirds of the whipped cream into cream cheese mixture. Spoon into heart. Insert star tip #32 into pastry or plastic bag; fill with remaining whipped cream. Pipe around the edge of heart. Garnish with strawberries.
Yield: 8-10 servings

2 comments:

Sandra said...

I made myself sick too. I did the chocolate facial last night and lets just say that Kevin laughed. He grabbed the camera so I may have to post the pic he he.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

I'm so sad that I had to miss that party...but your recipe looks delicious!