Friday, April 17, 2009

Friend birthday parties

So we planned on surprising Chief with a friend party this afternoon. We have a family party tomorrow on his actual birthday, but thought he'd love the surprise. Boy were we surprised when only 1 of the 5 classmates showed up (the only one who came knew about it because I talk with her mom all the time). I had dropped off letters for the other 4 on Tuesday for the teacher to put in the kids' homework cubby. They were in cursive and were addressed in print to the kids' parents so that the kids wouldn't be able to read them and tell everyone about it. Either the kids didn't get the letters, the parents didn't get the letters, all 4 kids were busy with other things, or a combination of the above. I did make the mistake of not requesting an R.S.V.P., but left my phone number for any questions. Anyway, it worked out in a way. Chief got slightly injured by a thorny bush during the first activity, a treasure hunt, after which he hung out with us, but didn't participate in any activity. Plus the one friend had to leave halfway through to go to a church activity, so we dropped a lot of the activities. I was thrilled when our two little neighbors, friends of my younger two kids, joined in the fun following the hunt. Since we lost our guests after the cake-on-a-stick activity, we jumped in the car to go to dinner at the place of Chief's choosing: McDonald's with the slide. After stopping at the grocery store on the way home we told the kids to get ready for bed. Chief had been looking forward to an ice cream cone--which we told him he could have at home, but before we realized we had to go to the store to get ingredients for his b-day breakfast (his choice was to have abelskivers and sausages). So we got to hear what a horrible day it had been.
Okay, wait a second. We brought candy to him at school for him to share with his class, we attempt to throw a surprise b-day party (it worked out--just not the way I thought it would), and we take him out to eat wherever he wants. On the other hand, he gets attacked by a bush and doesn't get the ice cream cone of his choice. So...good day or bad day?
Honestly, my hubby and I get tired of trying. A little while ago we had been feeling like we were neglecting the kids, thereby possibly resulting in some restless fighting amongst them. We took a very busy Saturday (at least for the parents who had lots to do) and changed it to taking the kids to the museum and the park (well, Daddy did the park while Mommy accomplished work). The verdict: that day was a horrible day because they didn't get to ride bikes at home with their friends.
Are my kids the only spoiled rotten ones? Do your kids ever take EVERYTHING for granted?!?! Was I like this as a kid? Oh wait Mom--don't answer that one.

4 comments:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Trust me, your kids are SO NOT the only ones who act like that...I find myself giving the classic "I had to walk to school uphill both ways" type speeches...

Sandra said...

First of all what is abelskivers? I've never heard of that....I'll have to go google he he. We have frequent talks about how ungrateful kids are. You are not alone! If you find a good cure for that let me know.

Company of 5 said...

Abelskivers (or also spelled a variety of ways) are round pancakes. There is a special pan with semi-circle round indents where you melt shortening, then drop in batter, turn using forks or toothpicks, until dark golden brown all the way around. William Sonoma had some yummy recipes for these. I also have the basic recipe if you are interested (assuming you have access to the pan).
As far as a cure, I'm not sure. I've heard of someone who had six kids and was so tired of the messy house he got rid of ALL their toys. The next day he felt so bad he went out to buy them some frisbees and balls after work. I'm sure his wife had a REALLY hard day that day. I won't go that far, but there are times I wish my kids understood how lucky they are to have what they do.

Anonymous said...

Could do what my parents did... 1 friend birthday party on your 6th birthday and another friend birthday party on your 12th birthday with all the rest being cake and ice cream for the family... (Sounds a little like the "walk uphill both ways" speech, doesn't it.)
Maybe a special ice cream cone at the Aggie Store near USU next time?