Friday, August 22, 2008

Wanted: Babysitter

I need a babysitter. It is for the night shift. It is not for my kids or my husband (though one of my boys has been ending up in my bed at night--last night it was twice). It is for my dehydrator.

Yes, I am slowly becoming a domesticated homemaker, with the help and encouragement from my husband. When my PIL (parents-in-law) gave us a huge bucket of peaches (thanks!) we set to work, peeling and coring, slicing and dipping. Then we put 'em on the trays and flicked the switch. Oye! The first night, two nights ago, I had to check them every hour, taking off the completed slices and rotating trays for maximum dehydration. I gave up at 2 am and stuffed the last few slices into a separate plastic wrap--close enough. I was also somewhat concerned--I have no idea if dehydrators are a fire risk. Mine comes from an obsolete company--no doubt bankrupt from poor marketing, financial matters, or from lawsuits due to fire hazards. Hmm, I don't think that'll help me sleep better.

Yesterday my hubby cut the rest into larger pieces--halves and such. I then sliced up our bananas, dipping them into honey/lemon juice and sprinkling them with nutmeg. I put those on one tray too. So last night I was up every two hours; checking, withdrawing, rotating. I have come to the conclusion that I either need to start the dehydrator at bedtime so I don't need to check it for a few hours or I need a babysitter for my dehydrator.

Any takers?

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Sounds fun but not fun. Sorry about needing to wake up but thats a fun thing to start.